The Counseling Department supports the high school’s mission of teaching “all students to think critically and creatively and to develop their potential through a diverse program of courses and activities that help them mature into productive and responsible citizens.” To that end, Amity Counseling Services offers a comprehensive program that assists students to acquire critical and creative thinking skills in the academic, career, personal, social, and civic aspects of their development. These programs and activities enable students to develop their potential and mature into productive, responsible, lifelong learners and world citizens. Counseling services are proactive, developmental and responsive to the needs of every student.
Counseling programs and activities help students to meet the academic, social, and civic expectations of Amity Regional High School by achieving the following objectives:
Students will acquire the knowledge, attitudes, and skills that contribute to effective learning in school and across the lifespan.
- Students will complete high school with the academic preparation essential to access a wide range of post-secondary options.
- Students will understand the relationship of the school’s academic, social, and civic expectations to life beyond high school, including the future world of work and successful participation in the community.
Students will gain knowledge of personal strengths, weaknesses, and interests and apply this knowledge in their exploration of postsecondary options, life goals, and the world of work.
- Students will develop skills to discover realistic and satisfying career and life opportunities for themselves.
- Students will use deliberate problem solving and decision making strategies to develop informed post-secondary plans and career and life goals.
Students will acquire the knowledge, attitudes, and skills to help them understand and respect themselves and others.
- Students will develop effective interpersonal skills to enable them to participate in and contribute to their various communities.
- Students will understand safety and survival skills.