Main Menu

Explore More

AMSO Health Information

Health Information for 2022-2023 School Year

Common Questions & Answers


Does my child require a physical exam?

Yes, The State of Connecticut mandates a physical exam for all students in Grade 7.  The exam must be documented on the blue Health Assessment Record and must have been performed after September 30, 2021.  This form is available on the Amity Regional District 5 website (navigate to Departments à School Nurses).


When should I submit my child’s Health Assessment Record?

7th grade physicals may be submitted anytime during the 7th grade year, unless they wish to participate in sports (see below).  However, proof of required immunization MUST be submitted by August 19, 2022.  Students will not be allowed to start school without the immunization requirements.

All physical exam forms and proof of required immunization are to be submitted digitally via our online registration process.


What if my child wants to participate in a sport?

There are 3 sports seasons.  The physical exam on file must be valid for the entire season (from tryouts through the end of the sport) and are good for 1 year only.  If your child is interested in:

·       Fall sport: Co-ed Cross country, Girls’ & Boys’ Soccer, and Girls’ Volleyball; the physical on file must be performed after 11/15/21

·       Winter sport: Girls’ & Boys’ Basketball; the physical on file must be performed after 2/22/2022

·       Spring sport: Baseball, Softball and track; the physical on file must be performed after 05/17/2022

The best time to get a physical exam is over the summer.  This will allow your child to participate in all 3 seasons if interested.



Who do I call if my child will be absent?

You must call the main office phone number 203-392-3200.  If your child is expected to be out more than 1 day due to illness you must ALSO contact the health office at 203-392-2096.  All contagious illness should be reported to the nurse, e.g.: COVID-19, strep infection, mono, flu-like symptoms with fever, and conjunctivitis.


What if my child requires medication during the school hours?

ALL medication (both prescription and non-prescription) requires the SCHOOL MEDICATION AUTHORIZATION form to be completed by the physician, parent, and school nurse. All medication is to be administered by the nurse.   These forms may be found on the Amity web site by navigating to Departments à School Nurses.  They may also be picked up at school.  The forms are good for 1 school year. Only bring a 45-day supply of medication at a time.  ALL MEDICATION MUST BE UNOPENED AND IN ITS ORGINAL CONTAINER.  Medication must be picked up by parent/guardian at the end of the school year or it will be discarded.

The nurse may administer Tylenol for minor aches, pains and fever.  Tylenol is a stock item; it is not necessary for you to provide.  You must indicate permission to do so on PowerSchool.


Can my child self-carry and self-administer an Epi-pen or an inhaler?

Yes, if the physician and parent completed the self-administration section of school medication authorization form and approved by the school nurse.


What health screenings are performed at school?

Scoliosis screening for grade 7 girls is performed if the screening has not been recorded by the physician on the Health Assessment Record. Scoliosis screening is performed for all boys in grade 8. 



I can be reached at 203-392-2096 until the last day of school (currently June 15th) or after August 23, 2022 with any questions or concerns.  

Looking forward to meeting your children.

Patricia Masella RN

Amity Middle School Orange