Dear Students, Parents, and Guardians: This summer all middle school students will be required to read two books as part of our summer reading program. This program is intended to help support academic performance, promote a lifelong enthusiasm for reading, and foster a feeling of community in our school. Incoming seventh and eighth graders will be required to complete the following:
Incoming Seventh Grade:
1. For their first required book, students must choose a Nutmeg Book Award (NBA) nominee from either the Intermediate or Teen lists. The lists of titles can be found at www.nutmegaward.org. After reading the Nutmeg choice, students must complete a graphic organizer. Students will use their graphic organizers in small discussion groups to talk about their novel.
2. For their second required book, students must select a fiction or non-fiction book of their choice.
Incoming Eighth Grade:
1. For their first required book, students must choose an appropriate, grade-level fiction novel. A list of suggested titles can be found at www.amityregion5.org by clicking on the “Parents-Students” tab under “Summer Work,” “MS Reading.” After reading their fiction choice, students must complete a graphic organizer. Students will use their graphic organizers in small discussion groups to talk about their novel.
2. For their second required book, students must select a non-fiction book of their choice.
Incoming Seventh and Eighth Grades: As part of the Governor’s Summer Reading Challenge, students are encouraged to read as many books as possible. Attached is a tally sheet where students are required to keep a list of all titles and authors for the books they read. At the beginning of the year, English teachers will collect both the tally sheet and graphic organizer.
Amity Middle School’s summer reading program is an essential component of our school literacy plan. It is our wish that this program will encourage our students to experience the joy of reading this summer.
Click on the appropriate link below:
- 7th Grade Graphic Organizer
- 8th Grade Graphic Organizer
- Governor's Reading Challenge
- Suggested Reading List